PROVIDING FOOD RELIEF SINCE 1970
Our Statement of Purpose: "To collect and receive money and goods from all sources and apply these funds with discretion to provide emergency relief without discrimination to people in need."
The WAVERLEY BENEVOLENT SOCIETY provides an emergency food relief service and focusses on serving eligible individuals and families within the City of Monash. WBS is an independent registered not-for-profit charity.
Founded in 1970, WBS has been providing direct food assistance and supermarket vouchers to people in need or suffering a temporary crisis. Assistance is provided without discrimination to persons and families in temporary or on-going crisis. This has been possible through the continued support of private sponsors, service clubs, grants and individual generosity.
Since November 2015, we have been partnered with Link Health and Community, an organisation offering many health services within the community. This has opened two way referral pathways to complementary services for some of our complex needs clients.
- Recently WBS received a grant from the Bendigo Bank for the third year running to provide school expense assistance to our clients struggling to put food on the table and find additional funds for school expenses. Since all government assistance with school expenses was cut off, this has been a problem for many low income families.
- We also received a grant from Feed Melbourne to allow us to purchase fresh and healthy foods weekly .
- A third very generous donation was received from the Freemasons Lodge of Rapport to purchase a fridge to make it possible to provide fresh foods.
- And some of the wonderful members of the Freemasons Lodge of Good Companions have offered to assist us with the heavy work involved with pick up and delivery of our food orders from Foodbank. Both lodges deserve BIG thanks!
- Once again, thanks to generous donations of seasonal special treats, WBS was able to offer Christmas hampers once again to its clients.