PROVIDING FOOD RELIEF SINCE 1970
Our Statement of Purpose: "To collect and receive money and goods from all sources and apply these funds with discretion to provide emergency relief without discrimination to people in need."
The WAVERLEY BENEVOLENT SOCIETY provides an emergency food relief service and focusses on serving eligible individuals and families within the City of Monash. WBS is an independent registered not-for-profit charity.
Founded in 1970, WBS has been providing direct food assistance and supermarket vouchers to people in need or suffering a temporary crisis. Assistance is provided without discrimination to persons and families in temporary or on-going crisis. This has been possible through the continued support of private sponsors, service clubs, grants and individual generosity.
Since November 2015, we have been partnered with Link Health and Community, an organisation offering many health services within the community. This has opened two way referral pathways to complementary services for some of our complex needs clients.
- In 2016, WBS received a grant from the Bendigo Bank for the third year running to provide school expense assistance to our clients struggling to choose between putting food on the table or paying for school expenses. Since most government assistance with school expenses was cut off, this has been a problem for many low income families. We are re-applying for a grant for 2017/18.
- To further assist with school funding, we recently produced a flyer called "Tips for managing your child's educational costs". Click on the following link to download the flyer. managingschoolcosts
- Last year we received a grant from Feed Melbourne. This allowed us to offer fresh food purchased weekly from a local wholesale business. Unfortunately, the grant funds for that project have run out. Temporarily we are continuing the purchases while we seek additional funding to continue in the long run. Fresh produce has proved very popular and contributes to promoting a healthier lifestyle for our clients. We are most grateful for the volunteer efforts of a a husband and wife team who collect a beautiful and bountiful weekly supply of very fresh fruits and vegetables..
- A third very generous donation was received from the Freemasons Lodge of Rapport to purchase a fridge to make it possible to provide these fresh foods as well as some perishable items from Foodbank.
- And some of the wonderful members of the Freemasons Lodge of Good Companions have offered to assist us with the heavy work involved with pick up and delivery of our food orders from Foodbank. Both lodges deserve BIG thanks!
- Once again, thanks to generous donations of seasonal special treats, WBS will be offering Christmas hampers again in December 2017.